Step Up Your SPF For Summer
We recently wrote about the benefits of using antioxidants and how they can help work against damaging elements such as UV light. So now it’s time to delve into SPF and what you can do to enjoy the sun safely.
Ideally, you’re taking sun care protection measures all year round – but with summer here, it’s especially important to be diligent with SPF in your skincare routine. UV rays are incredibly harmful to your skin. Over time, too much sun exposure can cause:
- Early signs of aging
- Uneven skin tone
- Dark spots
- Skin cancer in severe cases
Luckily, avoiding these issues is easy. Here are our top tips.
Use The Right Type Of Sun Protection
Sun exposure isn’t all bad. In fact, a small amount of sun exposure can provide us with Vitamin D – and Vitamin D helps regulate calcium levels and phosphate in our bodies. These nutrients help build and maintain healthy bones, teeth and muscles.
However, as we mentioned earlier, it’s ideal to take preventative measures all year, because – even in the winter months – the light can be incredibly powerful. Snow can reflect upto 80% of UV light. So if you’re spending an extended amount of time outdoors, then be sure to lather up exposed parts of your body.
Signs of sunburn:
- Tight or itchy skin
- Red skin. Sometimes hard to notice in the bright sunlight.
- Hot skin
- Peeling. This is your body shedding dead skin cells.
It’s important to take special care of the skin on your face to protect against sun damage. Our absolute favourite product for sun protection is the Eminence Organics Sun Defense Minerals SPF 30.
Two great sunscreens to add to your SPF routine to avoid skin damage on the rest of your body are Eminence Organics Lilikoi Mineral Defense Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 or the Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Body Sunscreen SPF 32.
Apply Moisturizer – But Before Or After SPF?
It can be confusing whether or not to wear moisturizer, or when to apply it, if you’re also applying sunscreen.
Let us help clear this up! It’s recommended that you apply sunscreen as a final step in your skincare routine. Layering sunscreen on top of your other products will seal in moisture and provide a protective barrier.
Alternatively, consider simplifying your routine with a 2-in-1 product: A moisturizer with SPF protection within it.
We suggest trying the following nourishing and hydrating moisturizers from Eminence Organics:
- Eminence Organics Lilikoi Mineral Defense Moisturizer SPF 33
- Eminence Organics Red Currant Protective Moisturizer with SPF 30
- Eminence Organics Bright Skin Moisturizer SPF 30
- Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 32
Once you have applied your moisturizer/SPF, allow it to be fully absorbed for a few minutes before applying any other products, including your primer, such as Eminence Organics Lilikoi Light Defense Primer SPF 23.
Need a recommendation on which moisturizer is right for you? Patricia has over 25 years experience as an esthetician, and is happy to help!
Simplify Your Makeup And SPF Routine With A CC Cream
Why not try swapping out your regular foundation and utilizing your makeup products with one of these tinted moisturizers?
- Eminence Organics Vanilla Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25
- Eminence Organics Caramel Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25 (light to medium)
The benefits of using a CC cream over a regular foundation:
- Acts As A Moisturizer: A CC cream relieves your skin of dryness and will leave it feeling nourished and hydrated.
- Replaces Your Foundation: Will help even out your skin tone, reduce any redness while leaving you with a sheer natural finish.
- Adds SPF Protection: Each bottle offers up SPF 25 so your skin is protected from harmful UV rays.
- Saves Time: 3 benefits in one product will save you time on your daily makeup routine.
Makeup in one
We love the idea of simplifying our skincare routine and Eminence Organics Sun Defense Minerals SPF 30 is by far our favourite. These natural minerals will not only protect your skin with SPF 30, it will also leave your skin looking flawless with a silky matte finish. And it’s water resistant!
Want a beautiful glow but want to avoid the harsh effects of UV light on your skin? Well The Facial Room is very excited to announce that we’re now carrying Luna Bronze – a luxurious collection of high quality self-tanning products.
Feel free to reach out with questions on SPF and how to integrate our products into your SPF routine: